What is Steroid? What Does It Do?
Why Are Steroids Used?
The use of steroids has become quite common in recent years. So what is a steroid and why is it used? The answers to these questions are very important. Because there are positive and negative effects of steroid use. In this article, we will discuss topics such as what is steroid, why it is used, what are its benefits and harms.
What is Steroid?
Steroids are artificial hormones similar to the hormones produced in the body. The substance used in the production of steroids is testosterone. Testosterone acts as a sex hormone in men. In women, estrogen and progesterone hormones act as sex hormones. Steroids increase muscle mass by increasing protein synthesis. For this reason, it is especially used by athletes.
Why Is Steroid Use Made?
There are many reasons for steroid use. Some of these are those:
- It is used by athletes to increase performance.
- It is used for bodybuilding and increasing muscle mass.
- It is used in the treatment of some diseases. For example; It can be used to regain lost muscle mass after chemotherapy.
- It is used for hormone supplementation for people with hormone deficiency.
What Are the Benefits of Steroids?
The use of steroids has many benefits. Some of these are those:
- It increases muscle mass and is ideal for those who want to do bodybuilding.
- In people experiencing weight loss, it accelerates fat burning and allows you to lose weight.
- It is used in the treatment of some diseases. It restores the muscle mass lost especially after chemotherapy.
- drugs such as cortisone